Maryland MENTOR, the newest statewide affiliate of MENTOR: The National Mentoring Partnership. Our shared mission is to increase both the quality and quantity of mentoring relationships. This is accomplished through support to on-the-ground mentoring programs to improve their quality, effectiveness and scale, while coalescing stakeholders to expand engagement and investment locally.
With the intention of serving as the catalyst and leader for quality mentoring in Baltimore and in Maryland, Maryland MENTOR is uniquely positioned to work with local organizations to increase their capacity, effectiveness and provide relevant and customized evidence-based training, technical assistance and support. We are intent on making progress towards closing the mentoring gap and ensuring that all mentoring relationships in Baltimore and throughout Maryland are safe and effective.
The need for our work is clear. Mentoring, at its core, guarantees to young people that there is someone who cares about them, assures them they are not alone in dealing with day-to-day challenges, and makes them feel like they matter. Research of programs with strong youth outcomes has shown that the consistent use of quality standards and training for youth workers are key to delivering the high quality programs that all youth need and deserve.
Young people who were at-risk for falling off track but had a mentor are:
- 55% more likely to enroll in college
- 52% less likely than their peers to skip a day of school
- 78% more likely to volunteer regularly in their communities
- 90% more interested in becoming a mentor
- 46% less likely than their peers to use illegal drugs
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lists mentoring as one of four strategies that holds the most promise for youth violence prevention
Despite these critically important documented benefits, finding quality mentors for our young people is a tremendous challenge. Young people can only access mentoring where programs are available and have the capacity to accommodate additional youth. This challenge only increases when steps are taken to ensure mentoring program practices meet quality standards that are safe and effective, including recruiting mentors and mentees, training them, matching and supporting them and consistently evaluating and refining efforts. Programs need to have both the capacity and ability to understand and apply best practices to effectively deliver mentoring services that positively impact youth.
This role of unifying hub and clearinghouse is one that Maryland MENTOR will serve to ensure resources and best practices are available to those organizations serving our most vulnerable young people!
Every young person will have the supportive, caring adult relationships they need to grow and develop into thriving, productive, and engaged adults.
Maryland MENTOR’s mission is to fuel the quality and quantity of mentoring relationships for Maryland’s young people and to close the mentoring gap.
Our Guiding Principles
- Champions for youth: We believe that young people are fully capable of thriving and reaching success in their lives. Maryland MENTOR celebrates and recognizes the many strengths and assets that youth possess.
- Excellence: We promote best practices and embrace high standards for quality, innovation, and continuous improvement.
- Collaboration: We leverage and extend our work through community partnerships and collaborations.
- Servant Leadership: We encourage and support others through participatory leadership and serves as a unifying voice to strengthen the mentoring field.
- Mentoring Mindset: We are dedicated to creating a culture where youth are supported through a web of mentoring relationships.
- Inclusivity: We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all areas of our work.
- Accountability: We operate at the highest level of integrity to ensure donor funds are used as entrusted.
- Sustainability and Relevance: We advocate that mentoring is a critical youth development strategy that supports increased access and support in education and employment while decreasing youths’ involvement in the juvenile justice system.
Our investors help make our work at Maryland MENTOR possible.
Check out opportunities at Maryland MENTOR.
Maryland MENTOR is currently recruiting for TWO AmeriCorps VISTA positions. Click to the button to learn more and apply.
Our Founding Advisory Board members and the National Mentoring Partnership have Maryland MENTOR possible.
Meet the Maryland MENTOR team.