National Quality Mentoring System
The National Quality Mentoring System (NQMS) is a multi-step process that revolves around the online, interactive NQMS tool.
- Register Your Program: The NQMS is built in to the Mentoring Connector. If your program is not listed in the Mentoring Connector, you will need to register your program in order to have access to the NQMS tool. After submitting the form, Maryland MENTOR will approve your listing and can grant your organization access to the tool.
- Review the NQMS FAQs: To see if your program is ready for NQMS, review the NQMS FAQs.
- Request NQMS Access: Once you are registered in the Mentoring Connector, contact Maryland MENTOR to let us know you would like to participate in the NQMS. We’ll briefly discuss the NQMS process with you and grant access.
Assess Your Program
- Start the Self-Assessment: The NQMS is comprised of 92 items that are organized into three sections: program design and management, operations, and evaluation. Each item uses the same rating scale to determine whether the item is in practice and an assessment of the quality of the implementation.
- Provide Documentation: Occasionally you will be asked to provide descriptive information such as your program mission or to upload a supporting document that corresponds to a specific item, such as your mentor recruitment plan.
- Ask Questions, Get Support: When you have a question, use the NQMS tools menu to access FAQs and extensive resources. These resources are indexed by NQMS section and include general information, guidelines, examples and templates to help programs understand and meet each quality standard.
- Submit the Assessment: Ensure all questions are filled out completely and all documents are attached. The NQMS does not need to be completed in one sitting. If you decide to take a break from the NQMS, just be sure to save your work!
Review & Plan for Improvements
- Meet with Maryland MENTOR Staff: During the onsite review, our staff will go over your NQMS results with you and help you develop a 12-month Improvement & Innovation Plan. For more information on the site review, see the NQMS FAQs.
- Plan Approval & Partner Status: When the review is complete, program leadership will be asked to sign a Statement of Accuracy, and once we receive this your program will become one of Maryland MENTOR’s Dedicated or Expert Partners, granting your program access to exclusive benefits. You will also receive access to a specialized report based on your assessment to help you view and analyze your results more easily and can share them with stakeholders (if you so choose).
Receive Personalized Support: After your review meeting, Maryland MENTOR will continue to stay in touch throughout the year to support your program as it moves forward and continues efforts to improve program quality on a timeline that works for you.
Use Resources: we offer many workshops, custom training, and free webinars that may help you as you implement your Improvement & Innovation Plan. Also make sure to subscribe to our monthly e-Newsletters and check out the Resources section of the website, both of which are free.