November is Thank Your Mentor Month, and this year, with all that people are going through, we would like to make it as special as possible. Showing appreciation to those who have helped you find your way is an easy way to both encourage and inspire the next generation to step up to become mentors.
Here are three great ways that both you and your programs/organizations can celebrate with us this month:
“Thank You” Activities for Mentors and Mentees
Encourage your mentees to thank their mentors this month using one of these fun activities:
- Draw a picture of your favorite memory with your mentor. You can mail it to your mentor or take a picture of the artwork and send the photo digitally.
- Plan a special virtual activity that you know your mentor will enjoy. For example, if your mentor likes museums, you can plan to go on virtual tours of various museums all over the world!
- Write and mail a letter to your mentor! Handwritten notes are always very special, and would be a wonderful surprise for a mentor to receive.
- Create and send an e-card. If mentees want to say thank you digitally and want to be more creative than a regular email, they can design a fun card online to send to their mentor. One fun online card platform is Punchbowl.
- If you are over 18, you can thank them on social media as part of the #ThankYourMentor Sweepstakes.
We know that a great way for mentors to teach new skills and behaviors to their mentees is through role modeling. Here are some ways they can use that skill this month:
- Many mentors have been mentored themselves at some point in their lives. Encourage other mentors to thank the person or people that serve as their mentor! If they post their thank you on social media, they too can participate in our #ThankYourMentor Sweepstakes and have a chance to win a $50 Visa E-Gift Card.
- Mentors often report that their mentees make a greater impact on them then they do on the mentees. Encourage mentors to reflect about their time with their mentees and to thank mentees for the wonderful two-way mentoring experience.
This November, Maryland MENTOR will be holding a #ThankYourMentor Sweepstakes to reward people who share their story through social media with our hashtag. The campaign lasts from November 9 – November 27. At the end of the month, we will draw a randomized winner from all posts made with the #ThankYourMentor hashtag to receive a $50 Visa E-Gift Card!
Here’s How You Enter:
1. Publish a post on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn or Twitter thanking a mentor outside your family, and include a photo or video.
2. Use hashtag #ThankYourMentor in your caption.
3. Tag Maryland MENTOR on the respective social media platforms: @marylandMENTOR
4. Tag 2 friends in your caption, encouraging them to do the challenge.
5. Make sure your post is public.